Sunday 15 July 2007

Pets or Owners ideas?

Someone sent me a comment regarding the love of their cat. She said that she always took her cat with her when she went on holiday. This set me thinking? Do we do things for our Pets or for ourselves? I know that if I took any of my cats on holiday they would not thank me. In fact they would be very upset and would probably try to make a quick exit out of the car every time the door was opened. But on the other hand if you have a dog and you take a trip he may be mortified if you leave him at home. But do we as Pet owners put our own ideals before that of our Pets? I guess that it is up to the individual to decide what is good and helpful to their pet. And so long as the Pet and its owner are happy and content then who are we to argue. So many people have different ideas and thoughts about how to keep and rear pets that this can become a very sticky issue. We have a customer who regularly runs up and down mountains with his two beautiful dogs. They think nothing of a quick run before breakfast doing ten to twelve miles. These super fit dogs are devoted to their owner and he just adores them. They were in the shop one day after a good morning out when another customer remarked that the 'poor dogs had run too far, and shouldn't have been allowed to have run such a distance'. I didn't know what to say. They looked healthy enough, were young and fit and I think really enjoyed their run. But was the customer right? Were they taken too far? I guess everyone has an opinion, so long as there is no hardship at the end of the day the dogs owner must have the final say. He is the one who has looked after them and cared for them and should know what they like and need. But it is still a tricky issue. Should be feed our cats mice instead of tinned or dried food because they prefer them? Or should we make our dogs eat vegetarian food because we are a vegetarian ourselves? Questions, questions.