Tuesday 8 May 2007

Roadworks,bra's and bats

We have been all enjoying the past warm weather. The tortoises have been having a whale of a time. They have been eating really well and looking very happy indeed. That is if a tortoise can 'look' happy. I have yet to see them smile, but they seem to be enjoying life anyway. We have found nice homes for them, and most have been sold in pairs. Their new owners are lovely people in fact one owner is a friend of mine. She has always wanted to keep tortoises and now that she is retired has decided to fulfil her dream and keep not one but two. I think they will be better looked after than the other members of her family. When I last talked to her she was worrying about where to place their vivarium in her house. Her sons bedroom or the playroom?
Back on the business front things have been a little strange. Yet again our wonderful Council has allowed some utility company or other to dig up the main road outside the shop. Why do they always choose a Bank holiday? This has caused chaos. We have traffic lights, very loud pneumatic drills and countless incidents of road rage. Of course our customers come into the shop and complain to us that they cannot cross the road, or they had to queue in their cars for ages to get into the town. As if we can do anything about it!
Then on Bank holiday Sunday our burglar alarm went off and would not be silenced. No matter how many times I put in the correct code it still continued with its screaming. I had to call the engineer out which of course will cost me a fortune. Not only that when it was eventually silenced our Parrot started imitating it. He can also imitate the passing ambulance sirens, so all in all Sunday was not a good day. Good job I did not have a hangover as well.
We are all awaiting the birth of some 'Skinny Pigs'. These are hairless guinea pigs. A member of our staff has a few as pets, and her pregnant sow is due any day now. It is all excitement, and as soon as they are born she will bring in pictures of the new arrivals. Skinny Pigs are a new breed of Guinea Pig which as I have said are hairless. Not to every ones taste, but interesting creatures. They have to be kept warm and are being exchanged for quite large amounts of money from all over the world. A bit out of our ordinary Pet Shop league, but interesting all the same.
Our strange request over the weekend was from a customer that asked if we sold bra's for dogs? Now I have heard of coats for dogs, boots for dogs even hats for dogs, but BRA'S? In the end after a lot of questions of a delicate nature I realised that she meant a harness. - Thank goodness for that.
Back at my house - where I live and type this blog - I have been watching a Kingfisher. It flies past my window as I type. I think it must have a nest nearby. I am so lucky to be able to see this bird almost every day. I know he is coming past as he makes a loud screeching sound when he flies. I wouldn't have thought that that was such a good idea as it must let all the other birds and predators know he is about. And you really can't miss him. His vivid colours just flash and sparkle as he zips past. I wounder if he will fly past with his new family soon. I do hope so.
Its just great to watch wildlife, and my cats think so too. Unfortunately one of my cats walked into the house with a bat the other day. Goodness knows how he managed to catch it. Life can be so cruel can't it?